The season of respiratory diseases has started: unfortunately, no one is safe from cold or flu. As the cold season comes, favorable good conditions for the mass spread of respiratory infections are created.
Who is in particular need of immunity strengthening
To cope with the illness, the immune system mobilizes all its strength for protection from viruses and microbes. Medical statistics  from year to year confirm that people, who are most commonly infected with cold and flu are:
- small children, mostly under 3 years old,
- рregnant women (and women up to two weeks postpartum),
- people over 65 years old,
- people with chronic diseases, as well as persons exposed to strong,
- physical and emotional stress.
Also, the resistance to viruses can be reduced due to hypothermia, which often occurs in the fall and winter. When an infected sick person coughs or sneezes, even when they just talk, tiny drops of saliva spread around them. A healthy person, inhaling them, may fall ill themselves. Or maybe not, if their immune system can cope with the viruses that enter their body.
To improve the body’s defenses and boost the immune system, one can use vitamins, coated colloidal silver, or other immune-boosting supplements. Let’s have a look at the 8 best supplements that will help improve your body’s defenses.
1. Coated colloidal silver
What is colloidal silver? It is a concentrate of small silver particles that are floating suspended in a liquid (usually in water), but not dissolved in it. It is in this form that the additive is convenient for external and internal use. It can be taken internally, sprayed, or applied locally. It is specifically colloidal silver that boosts people`s immune response or improves specific symptoms.
Scientists from all over the world have conducted many studies that were focused on silver nanoparticles and their antibacterial and antifungal activity.
In particular, by Noble Elements LLC, an innovative company founded by Dr. Calin V. Pop MD., Dan V. Goia Ph.D., and Nodari Rizun. The benefits of silver are widely discussed in other scientific literature . Colloidal silver ranks number one on the list of 8 best supplements for cold and flu, due to its efficiency in protection from microbes and bacteria.
Keep in mind: this product, like others on the list, is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). To comply with U.S. dietary supplement laws, we provide the reader with information about elemental silver, relevant to its proper antimicrobial activity, as recognized by federal agencies, FDA, and the World Health Organization (WHO).
The reader is encouraged to independently evaluate the facts presented here. So, shall you take coated colloidal silver for viruses? After all, no one wants to be sick. However, coated colloidal silver can still be taken safely for immune support, as long as you do your research and choose a true colloidal silver product.
2. Vitamin C
Vitamin C aids the prevention or treatment of common colds . Vitamin C shortens common cold episodes and reduces complaints: is a strong antioxidant that helps boost your organism. It promotes the formation of leukocytes, neutralizes free radicals. Thus, most of the body’s inner antioxidants are restored. This way, it supports our immunity and reduces oxidative stress. Also, during the period of a cold, we should eat more good foods with vitamin C.
3. Elderberry syrup
Elderberry flavonoids  stimulate the immune system and also reduce the harmful effects of free radicals. The amazing properties of elderberry syrup are due to its active substances, including anthocyanin cyanidin-3-glucoside-3. Active compounds, found in black elderberry, have a direct effect on the influenza virus and prevent its penetration into the cells. Besides, elderberry syrup is effective in the later stages of the influenza cycle, when cell infection has already occurred.
Shilajit is an organo-mineral product of predominantly biological origin. The mumijo compound, found in shilajit, allows your body to qualitatively improve the efficiency of the immune system, vitality, and they also have a beneficial effect on the work of other body systems . The «mountain resin», as this substance is often called, contains organic and inorganic compounds, such as potassium, phosphorus, iron, petroselinic, glyceric, and glutamic acids, various essential oils of vegetable origin, and much, much more.
5. Mushroom Complex
Medicinal mushrooms  contain active polysaccharides and beta-glucans, which play an immunomodulatory function by activating various types of immune cells, which is very important for maintaining homeostasis. Phytoncides found in mushrooms fight various viruses, and antioxidants reduce blood cholesterol levels. Beta-glucans are involved in biochemical processes associated with the work to activate the body’s defenses. The complex most often include Shiitake, Coriolus, Reishi, Maitake mushrooms.
6. Oregano Oil
Oregano, as an aromatic herb naturally originating from the Mediterranea, has traditionally been used to support respiratory and digestive health. Research shows  that the one active ingredient in oregano oil – carvacrol, provides support for the immune system. Also, oregano can resist parasites in the intestines and the yeast.
Curcumin is used in medicine, primarily in Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). It is the composition of dietary supplements that transforms turmeric curcumin from poorly digestible fat-soluble phytonutrients into a water-soluble phytonutrient. This allows the body to absorb it faster.
Accordingly, it is a powerful antioxidant that fights cell-damaging free radicals in the body. It strengthens the immune system 5-8 times better than vitamin C due to its high content of antioxidants .
8. Bio-Vegetarian Complex
Bio-Vegetarian complex is a drug to support immunity . It is rich in antimicrobial and antibacterial ingredients and is designed to fight infection and stop colds or significantly shorten the duration of illness. It also contains zinc. This mineral will help stimulate the activity of white blood cells, which play an important role in the fight against foreign viruses and bacteria and support optimal immune function in general. It also contains a variety of herbs, including two types of echinacea, which have a positive effect on respiratory health.
- World Health Organization (WHO), official website, «Influenza», published 6 November 2018; Catherine Brewer, «Preventing flu in high-risk groups», рublished October 2017.
- Dr. Calin V. Pop MD. «The TRUTH About Colloidal Silver & Gold: Separating Fact From Fiction; The Real Science Behind The Hype»; Colloidal Silver. (n.d.). Retrieved June 25, 2020. Silver CASRN 7440-22-4 | IRIS | US EPA, ORD. (n.d.). Retrieved June 25, 2020.
- Mattijs E Numans, V.E.J. Jacobs «Vitamin C and common cold in general practice»; Harri Hemilä, «Vitamin C and Infections», published 2017 Mar. 29.
- Torabian G., Valtchev P., Adil Q., Dehghani F. «Anti-influenza activity of elderberry» (Sambucus nigra). J Funct Foods, 2019; 54: 353–360.
- NSBI (US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health): Carlos Carrasco-Gallardo, Leonardo Guzmán, and Ricardo B. Maccioni, «Shilajit: A Natural Phytocomplex with Potential Procognitive Activity», Int J Alzheimers Dis. 2012; 2012: 674142, рublished 2012 Feb. 23.
- NSBI (US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health): Geir Hetland, Egil Johnson, Bjоrn Grinde, «Can medicinal mushrooms have prophylactic or therapeutic effect against COVID‐19 and its pneumonic superinfection and complicating inflammation?», published 2020 Jul. 29.
- Priti Uchgaonkar, «Antibacterial activity of Oregano oil Bionano frontier», рublished Oct. 2018.
- NSBI .Soheil Zorofchian Moghadamtousi, Habsah Abdul Kadir, Pouya Hassandarvish, Hassan Tajik, Sazaly Abubakar and Keivan Zandi, «A Review on Antibacterial, Antiviral, and Antifungal Activity of Curcumin», рublished 2014 Apr. 29.
- Paul R. Thomas, Paul M. Coates, Carol J Haggans «Dietary supplements», рublished January 2020.